Wax food wraps are an impressive invention and a great reusable alternative to plastic wrap, but they need some extra TLC in order to be used properly. Here is our quick guide for using, washing, reviving, disposing of, and caring for your vegan or beeswax food wraps.
Cleaning and Use Dos and Don'ts
- DON'T put them in the dishwasher, wax food wraps should always be washed by hand.
- DO use COLD water when washing your wraps, warm water will melt away the wax coating and shorten the life of your wraps.
- DO use a mild, unscented soap and wash gently. This will help extend the life of your wraps and prevent them from picking up an odour from heavily scented soap.
- DO NOT use on meat (especially raw), to prevent bacteria growth.
- DO wait for hot leftovers to cool completely before covering. Even slightly warm food could melt the wax coating.
- DO store them rolled instead of folded whenever possible
With these tips you should get about a year of regular use from your wraps. When they are no longer sticky, try reviving them before you toss them!
How to revive your wax food wraps
- Heat your oven to 150°F.
- Place your wax food wrap on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and stick it in the oven for one to two minutes, or until the wax has started to melt.
- Remove the tray from the oven and immediately pick the wrap up holding it by the corners.
- Hold for a few seconds while it dries
- Place your newly revived wax food wrap on a flat surface until fully cool and dry.
How to dispose of your wax wraps
When your wax wraps have reached the end of their life, make sure to dispose of them responsibly. Here are two options:
- Cut into strips and place in your green bin or backyard composter.
- Stuff into a toilet paper roll and use as a fire starter while camping or at the cottage.
Ardent Earth is a Canadian, zero waste, online eco store that helps conscious consumers go green with our environmentally friendly products and lifestyle tips. We offer eco-friendly alternatives that are low waste & sustainable, vegan & cruelty free, and use only safe & healthy ingredients.